Little Acorn

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, January 17, 2014

walker, texas toddler

Acorn is WALKING!!! I'm calling it. Her first official steps were on New Year's Day of all days, the day she turned 13 months old. It was so wonderful for us to BOTH witness it too--it was like she gave us a little present! She had been taking a tentative step here, a little one there and immediately plopping down, realizing crawling was going to get her places a little faster.

Then all of a sudden, right after we had our annual New Year's Day blueberry cinnamon pancake extravaganza (this year, they were in the shapes of Star Wars characters!), she just "got" it. She stepped, and paused, stepped and paused, and stayed up, and just kept going. And she hasn't looked back since! Two weeks later and she's really starting to get the hang of it, and even trying to run. Or rather speed walk...


Acorn walking at 13 months.

**UPDATES/STATS**

On a side note, I haven't really been keeping up with updates so I'll share them now. She is still at the 75th percentile in height and weight (lil chunkster). And her ear tubes are a success--no real sickness in a month, which is HUGE! 

Speaking of chunkness, she loves almost all foods except raw fruits, which is so weird to me. I realized if I heated up blueberries, she'll devour them, but she'll turn her nose up to a raw strawberry or banana every single time. Well, I take that back, she likes citrus and even sucked on a lime!! It must be anything super sweet or the texture she doesn't like? She eats like a Trojan warrior when it comes to green beans, butternut squash, broccoli, and avocado, though she'll eat most any vegetable. I usually add hummus or goat cheese when she has toast and try to serve her whatever we're having for dinner (if it's healthy). I shy away from sweets but don't make a big deal about it. And every once in a while, I'll give her a taste of my pizza or something not so healthy. Of course she would love my goat cheese/caramelized onion/garlic/arugula pizza! I keep thinking she'll get pickier later. So for now, we're living it up watching her eat so many non-toddler foods (ehem, truffle oil??)!

She is down to two naps a day, sometimes one and that's hard. The days she has one she's wiped out. At least she's been consistently sleeping from 6:30PM to about 6-6:30AM without much issue for the past several months. We had a three-week stint between Christmas and the new year where she was consistently up and WAILING between 3-4AM every night. Scared me and it took me a while to realize it a combination of teething, the major walking milestone, and me not able to let her CIO. I had to retrain us BOTH and we're now back on track--she doesn't even peep in the morning when we get her up for school, just plays or hangs out.

We switched schools last week and it's been hard on her since they only nap from 12-2PM. But we're getting there. It takes off about 20 minutes in the morning and 1-1.5 hours in the afternoon. HUGE difference for me and my stress level. We can actually go outside and play in the afternoons when we're home at 5PM! I can actually cook dinner now too!

Acorn's favorite word is "Doh" which I'm pretty sure means "Dog." She calls EVERYTHING a Doh or a Doo and gets really excited when she actually sees or hears a dog in the neighborhood, as if she finally wished it true! We joke it's the "Doo's and Doh's of Acorn." She also regularly says "Thank you," which I love. She'll say it after we give her a sippy cup, food, toys, etc., so maybe she really knows what it means? Same for "Whoa" and "Wow". We'll head outside and she'll look up at the trees and whisper, "Whooaaa!" or WOOOOWW" as if she's truly awed by the outdoors. "Mama" and "Dada" are also regulars, though we're working on "Cat" since every time she sees our cats, it's a Homer-like "DOH!!!"

That's all I can think of for now!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. So adorable! Those teething nights can be rough. Glad you got through them!

    ReplyDelete